Am I Affected By Someone Else’s Alcohol or Drug Use?
The following questions are designed to help you decide whether or not you have been affected.
- Do you worry about how much someone drinks/uses drugs?
- Do you have money problems because of someone else’s drinking/drug use?
- Do you tell lies to cover up for someone else’s drinking or drug use?
- Do you feel that if the drinker/drug user cared about you, they would stop drinking/using drugs to please you?
- Do you blame the drinker’s/drug user’s behavior on his or her companions?
- Are plans frequently upset or canceled or meals delayed because of the drinker/drug user?
- Do you make threats, such as, “If you don’t stop drinking/using drugs, I’ll leave you”?
- Do you secretly try to smell the drinker’s breath? To look at the drug user’s pupils or check their skin for needle marks?
- Are you afraid to upset someone for fear it will set off a drinking bout or drug binge?
- Have you been hurt or embarrassed by a drinker’s/drug user’s behavior?
- Are holidays and gatherings spoiled because of drinking or drug use?
- Have you considered calling the police for help in fear of abuse?
- Do you search for hidden alcohol or drugs?
- Do you ever ride in a car with a driver who has been drinking or using drugs?
- Have you refused social invitations out of fear or anxiety?
- Do you feel like a failure because you cannot control someone else’s drinking or drug use?
- Do you think that if the drinker/drug user stopped, your other problems would be solved?
- Do you ever threaten to hurt yourself to scare the drinker/the drug user?
- Do you feel angry, confused or depressed most of the time?
- Do you feel there is no one who understands your problems?
Adapted from Al-Anon’s Twenty Questions
If you have answered “Yes” to any of these questions, your life has been affected by someone else’s drinking or drug use.